Home > Heritage > Picardy cooking
According Austin de Croze "Picardy is probably the French region,
which preserved the most ancient recipes" 1926.
- “Bisteu” Pie made from potatoes with puff pastry base or short pastry.
- "Caghuse" homemade with onions and pork, associated with seasonal vegetables.
- "Ficelles picardes ": Local name for salty crepes: Thin pancakes filled with ham and duxelles, a french classic preparation done mainly, with mushrooms, butter, onions, shallots finely diced.
- Pie of duck of Amiens.
- Lamb of salt meadow of the Somme Bay.
- Potatoes baked in the oven, for the family meals (as in Greece, in the baking sheet directly)
- Savoury tarts are basics for all regions in France.
- Beaten Cake, called "Egg cake" to the 17th century, eggs were easily available for the farmer. Cooker and baker propose now a recipe with a number of eggs more reasonable and with a traditionnal taste.
- Rabottes apples, cooked with the furnace. (Rabotte : was also a local game with ball).
- Chantilly cream. (create at the Chantilly castle).
- Home-made tarts with apples or prunes (dried plums).
- The famous Mr. Parmentier, “developer” of potato cultivation in France, was born in Somme region.
Several varieties of potatoes are cultivated in our region like:
- “Bintje”, variety very popular in the North of France and Europe,
- “Vitelotte”, have a color violet,
- “Pompadour”, named inspired of the Marquise de Pompadour,
- “Ratte du Touquet”, small potatoes, Touquet is the city in the coast.
- «Juliette des sables » (Juliette of sands), in the Bay of Somme.
- The potato starch used in culinary preparations (naturally gluten-free) is made in Picardy with a specific potato variety, which is richer in starch.
- Salicornia of Somme Bay, like “beans” of sea to use in accompanying with other vegetables.
- Picardy mustard.
- Rollot: heart-shaped cheese, Rollot is the name of a village.
- Honey with linden (silver medal 2014 – Paris international Agricultural show).
- Amiens macaroons, chocolate tiles, (sold near the Amiens Cathedral shop).
- the cider exist in Picardy since 16 century, the beer,
- Wine of Craonelle, the rhubarb nectar.